The Isolated Posts and Government Housing Committee reviews and recommends changes to the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directives and hears final level grievances on these authorities, when required by the Executive Committee. The Committee also recommends changes to various rates and allowances on a periodic basis.
Committee Advisor: Elizabeth.Shum@njc-cnm.gc.ca
Quarterly Report to the National Joint Council (June 2018)
- The Committee met twice (2) since the last Council meeting.
- The Committee examined the results of the 2017 Environment Allowance review provided by Statistics Canada. Due to some anomalies identified by the Committee, Statistics Canada was tasked with a review their work, and returned with a more rigorous review of their results and a plan for consistent analytics and documentation of the methodologies going forward. The Bargaining Agent Side still have concerns pertaining the adoption of the Nation Road Network (NRN) file created by NRCan, a new technological tool for geographic information system to classify the isolated posts. The parties are working together to find a solution for the update to the Environment Allowance.
- The Committee discussed options for a permanent solution for the interim Shelter Cost Differential (SCD) methodology.
- The Committee agreed to the Living Cost Differential (LCD) Results for Manitoba. Finally the Committee agreed on the Fuel and Utilities (F&UD) results for 2017.
- Six (6) grievances: All six (6) pertain to Vacation Travel Assistance (VTA). Four (4) grievances have been placed in abeyance by the parties or by Executive Committee pending a decision by the FPSLREB; two (2) grievances are in analysis or are awaiting additional information from the parties. One (1) concern a change in the VTA rates for Fraser, BC in 2012 and the other concern a pro-rated VTA payment for a child.
- The Committee continues to work on a Communiqué for employees pertaining to the method of calculation of the VTA.
Next meeting: October 30, 2018