The Official Languages Committee reviews the Bilingualism Bonus Directive and hears final level grievances on the directive, when required by the Executive Committee. The Committee also reviews official languages policies in the Public Service and discusses issues arising from these policies.
Committee Advisor: Jennifer.Ballantyne@njc-cnm.gc.ca
Quarterly Report to the National Joint Council (June 2018)
- The Committee has met twice (2) since the last Council meeting.
- Following the presentation of the Report on the State of bilingualism in the Public Service to the Executive Committee at its meeting in February, the OL Committee prepared a Yearly Planning Agenda for 2018-2019. This plan for the next year’s activity of the Committee was received by the Executive at its April meeting. The OL Committee plans to share the results of their Report on the State of bilingualism on the NJC website and meet the stakeholders that were consulted in the Report to continue discussion on the implementation of the recommendations and to find solutions to the challenges regarding OL.
- In the 2018-2019 Workplan, the OL Committee expressed an interest in contributing to the consultations concerning the recommendations arising from the Borbey-Mendelsohn Official Languages Report to the Clerk of the Privy Council. The Workplan for the next year also anticipates efforts from the OL Committee towards creating opportunities to speak to PS leaders to apprise them of the importance of a change in culture regarding employees’ use of official languages on a daily basis.
- The Committee wishes to note the departure of the Chair Michelle Laframboise, from CFMWS, and Jean Ouellette, from PIPSC and thank them for their contribution to the Committee.
- The Committee welcomed two (2) new Bargaining Agent Side members, Frédéric Durso, from PIPSC and Jean-Pierre Fortin from CIU. The Committee also welcomed the new Chair, Julie Desroches from AAFC.
Next meeting: November 6, 2018