The Official Languages Committee reviews the Bilingualism Bonus Directive and hears final level grievances on the directive, when required by the Executive Committee. The Committee also reviews official languages policies in the Public Service and discusses issues arising from these policies.
Committee Advisor: Michelle.Clément@njc-cnm.gc.ca
Quarterly Report to the National Joint Council (December 2017)
- The Committee has met once (1) since the last Council meeting.
- FThe Committee welcomed a new Bargaining Agent Side member, Omar Burgan, from PSAC.
- Following the Executive Committee’s request to evaluate and report on the current state of affairs regarding official languages in the Public Service, to report on key questions concerning language training and to promote the NJC as a forum of choice to raise awareness in the OL Community, the Committee is preparing the final version of the Report to distribute to the next Executive Committee meeting.
- The report will consider the stakeholder presentations received during Committee meetings (including, CEE/TBS, OCOL, Council of the Network of OL Champions, and Canadian Heritage) with respect to their mandate, role and challenges. The Committee will provide a report on its findings and recommendations to the Executive Committee on the gaps that exist and the practices that should continue.
- Furthermore, the report will include the language training practices, the challenges that exist, and key recommendations based on the questionnaires distributed to the OL Community and to the employees.
Next meeting: May 1, 2018