Isolated Posts and Government Housing Committee
As mandated by the NJC Executive Committee, the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Committee recently completed a review of the applicable kilometric rate (for travel) as it relates to provisions contained in the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive.
The following two recommendations have been accepted by the NJC Executive Committee:
1. The traveler-requested (also referred to as the lower) kilometric rate will continue to apply in the following situations:
- Compassionate travel (sec. 2.2);
- Bereavement travel (sec. 2.3);
- Post-Secondary Education Travel (sec. 2.9);
- Travel for adoption of a child (sec. 2.10);
- Non-Elective Medical or Dental Treatment (sec. 2.1).
With regard to the above, it should be noted that where there is no air service from the headquarters to the nearest location in Canada where adequate medical or dental treatment is available and where there is no public transportation from the headquarters to the air service, the employer-requested kilometric rate shall be paid from the employee's headquarters to the nearest source of public transportation to the air service.
2. The employer-requested (also referred to as the higher) kilometric rate will be applied in section 2.5 (100% VTA) of the IPGHD, in the specific situation where there is no airport at the headquarters and there is no public transportation from the headquarters to the nearest air service. Otherwise, the traveler-requested rate will apply.