It is the policy of the Department to assist employees in the disposal and acquisition of a principal residence, when rented.
- Employees disposing of rental accommodation should attempt to schedule their departure to avoid lease liability payments.
- Employees should seek rental accommodation which will be available at the time of their intended move, in order to reduce payment of rent in advance, or interim accommodation costs.
- Employees shall consult and/or discuss prospective terms of lease with their Relocation Counsellor for professional clarification.
7.3 Funding Overview
The benefits outlined in this section are funded from both the Core and if need be, the Customized/Personalized envelopes as follows:
|Rent or Lease Liability||
|Professional Cleaning of Residence||
|Rent in Advance of Move (TDRA)||
|Rental Agency Finding Fees||
7.4 Rent or Lease Liability
Employees who incur rent or lease liability in order to dispose of his/her rented accommodation will be reimbursed as follows:
- An amount up to the equivalent of three months' rent; or
- Amounts required by law in excess of three months' rent **
** An alternative arrangement should be explored to determine if a less costly settlement could be arranged. All findings and approval must be directed to the Departmental National Coordinator.
The employee and family must be open to all options that minimize the employer's costs such as sublet arrangements (with assistance from rental search firms if appropriate) or payment of mandatory penalties for early termination of a lease. The personal family circumstances have to be considered before effecting a lease termination and TDRA (as per terms and rates established within the NJC Relocation - IRP Directive) will be provided in those instances where the family has to remain behind until completion of the regular school term.
7.5 Reimbursement for Property Damages
There is no entitlement to reimbursement for rent or lease liability that results from property damage by the employee.
Any damage resulting from a sub-let arrangement remains the employee's responsibility and will not be reimbursed.
7.6 Professional Cleaning of Former Residence
The employee may be reimbursed actual and reasonable expenses for the cost of professional cleaning of the former residence after the household effects have been loaded and at the new residence before or after the unloading of furniture - maximum entitlement under Core is not to exceed $100 (taxes included) in total for cleaning as follows:
- Up to a maximum of $100 (inclusive of taxes)
- Expenditures over Core
Receipt/proof of payment is required.
7.7 Rental Search Fees
- Employees are entitled to be reimbursed for the services of a Rental Search Agency (RSA) to find either:
- permanent rental accommodation, or
- Temporary Dual Residence Accommodation (TDRA).
- Assistance shall not exceed two (2) days, and is to be funded from Core.
- Employees will be reimbursed actual and reasonable expenses for services provided by professional rental firms up to the pre-negotiated corporate rates.
- Where established rates and services have not been negotiated, reimbursement will be up to an amount equivalent to the pre-negotiated corporate rates in similar locations.
- Where an employee uses the services of a RSA during the HHT phase to locate permanent rental accommodation and subsequently decides to purchase a residence instead, and has not moved in or signed a lease, the RSA fees will not be deducted from the purchasing costs.
- When the employee engages the services of a RSA and subsequently chooses to cancel the services and fails to notify the Rental Find Firm (7 days or more) prior to arrival, he/she will be personally responsible for any cancellation fee charges.
7.8 Temporary Dual Residence Allowance (TDRA)
- Temporary Dual Residence Assistance (TDRA) is provided when the employee, due to circumstances outside the employee's control, is temporarily in a position of maintaining two residences. Two situations which are covered by this provision:
- when employees must lease accommodation before their arrival at the new place of duty, or
- when one or more dependants of an employee remain at the former place of duty to complete an educational term (secondary school - current semester, college/university - current school year), or other justifiable reason.
- When employees must lease accommodation before their arrival at the new place of duty, they may be reimbursed up to the cost of the first month's rent out of Core funding, with the following conditions:
- Reimbursement shall be calculated from the first day of the lease at the new place of duty and cease on the date the employee vacates the former residence.
- Should the period of assistance exceed two months, further assistance may be paid out of Customized/Personalized Funds.
- When an employee originally moved as a renter, then subsequently purchased a residence, and was reimbursed legal fees and other associated acquisition costs, the employee shall repay any financial assistance paid from Core Fund under this provision.
- When this provision is used, interim accommodation shall be limited to the day following delivery of the employee's furniture and effects.
- When one or more dependants of an employee remain at the former place of duty, the employee shall be given an allowance of $525/month to help defray the dependant's living costs. The following conditions apply:
- Only one allowance shall be paid.
- This allowance is not payable if other TDRA allowances are being paid.
- Eligibility is for a maximum of 180 days or end of school year.
7.9 Weekend Travel Home Every Two Weeks while on TDRA
Applicable to employees with dependants who remain in the family home.
This entitlement is based on the premise that the employee will make travel arrangements more than 14 days in advance.
When a door-to-door move is not possible, employees shall be entitled to travel home on average every two weeks while on Temporary Dual Residence Assistance (TDRA). The total number of weekend travel home trips shall not exceed:
- two (2) trips over the initial thirty days of the TDRA; and
- four (4) trips over the initial sixty days of the TDRA; and
- not to exceed five (5) trips of the period of the TDRA.
Payment of these transportation expenses comes from the Core fund.
7.10 Legal Fees
For employees who rent accommodation at destination, legal fees incurred in approving the form and legality of a lease shall be reimbursed as an incidental expense under Core.