This part of the Directive enhances and supplements Part III (Temporary Structures and Excavations) [https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-86-304/page-3.html#h-893369] of the COHSR and should be read in that context.
3.1 Mobile Elevated Work Structures
3.1.1 Departments shall ensure that the design, construction, maintenance and use of every mobile elevated work structure shall comply with the appropriate standard.
3.1.2 To the extent practicable, when it is necessary to use or move a mobile elevated work structure with an employee on the device, the person in charge shall ensure that the device is observed until it is no longer in motion.
3.2.1 The design, construction and use of scaffolds shall meet the requirements of the appropriate standard.
3.3.1 Excavations in which employees work shall be safe for use and shall be used in a safe and proper manner, and:
- before a work shift, a qualified person shall perform a safety inspection of each excavation to be used during that shift;
- a record of each inspection shall be completed by the person who carried out the inspection; and
- every record referred to in paragraph (b):
- shall be signed by the person who carried out the inspection, and
- shall include:
- date of the inspection;
- identification and location of excavation;
- any observation that the person considers relevant to the safety of employees; and
- a declaration that in the opinion of the person carrying out the inspection, the excavation is safe for its intended use.