The Isolated Posts and Government Housing Committee reviews and recommends changes to the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directives and hears final level grievances on these authorities, when required by the Executive Committee. The Committee also recommends changes to various rates and allowances on a periodic basis.
Committee Advisor: Jennifer.Purdy@njc-cnm.gc.ca
Quarterly Report to the National Joint Council (June 2019)
- The Committee met three (3) times since the last Council meeting.
- The Committee wishes to the note the departure of Shawn Vincent, PSAC and thank him for his many years of service and contributions to the priorities of the Isolated Posts and Government Housing Committee.
- The Committee welcomed a new Bargaining Agent Side member, Janson LaBond, from PSAC.
- The Shelter Cost Differential (SCD) is an amount which is payable to employees in private accommodation and in government housing at qualifying posts to help offset the higher shelter costs at these locations. The methodology which is currently identified in the Guide to the NJC Rates and Allowances specifies that the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) reviews the SCD on an annual basis. However, this practice stopped in 2012.
- An interim methodology has been in place to update the SCD on an annual basis since 2013. At the request of the Executive Committee, the IPGH Committee has been working on developing a revised methodology which will be presented to the Executive Committee once agreed upon.
Five (5) grievances:
Four (4) have been placed in abeyance at the request of the parties or by Executive Committee pending a decision by the FPSLREB and one (1), which is related to non-elective medical/dental treatment, is in the process of being scheduled.
Next meeting: September 24, 2019