The Joint Employment Equity Committee (JEEC) provides a national forum that includes the Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS), the Public Service Commission (PSC), Bargaining Agents and departmental representatives. Others with Employment Equity and diversity responsibilities or expertise, including a youth representative, may be invited to collaborate on the development, implementation and revision of public service wide policies and practices that may impact designated groups under the Employment Equity Act.
The JEEC acts as the NJC's vehicle for Employment Equity and diversity analysis, and provides the NJC with Employment Equity and diversity related input, as well as, advice and recommendations related to emerging policies and practices in the federal public service:
- Undertaking timely and relevant analysis/review from an Employment Equity and diversity lens. Analysis from an Employment Equity and diversity lens is understood as:
- Considering the Employment Equity impacts and implications of policy and practice modifications on the designated groups;
- Ensuring that intersections among designated groups—including gender identity and sexual orientation related issues are considered when impacts and implications are assessed.
- Periodically undertaking system wide reviews and analysis on Employment Equity and diversity related issues.
To achieve its mandate, the JEEC relies on:
- Transparent and timely sharing of Employment Equity and diversity related information among all Committee members (including Employment Equity data summaries gathered through various employer controlled systems);
- A consistent approach to referring issues to JEEC for consultation, collaboration, input and analysis; and,
- Engagement with the NJC Executive with regard to emerging priorities.
Committee Advisor: Jennifer.Purdy@njc-cnm.gc.ca
Quarterly Report to the National Joint Council (September 2019)
- The Committee has not met since the last Council meeting.
- The Committee wishes to note the departure of
Jo-Anne McCullough from the PSC and Gert Zagler from ESDC and thank them for their contribution to the Committee.
- The Committee also welcomed three new Employer Side members: Jane Lang, from DND; Rawan El-Komos, from PPSC and Alice Law from PSC.
- Members of the Committee have been asked by the Public Service Commission (PSC) to participate in a working group to further examine the results of the Employment Equity Promotion Rate Study. A number of Committee members have accepted the invitation to participate in this working group and are eager for the work to commence.
- On August 7, 2019, following an invitation from the Service-Wide Committee on Occupational Health and Safety, several members of the JEEC visited four GCworkplace facilities in the NCR to better understand how these new workspaces may impact employment equity groups, specifically, persons with disabilities. Those members that attended the site visits will debrief the rest of the Committee at the Committee’s September meeting.
Next meetings: January 8, 2020