2.1 Insurance plans and compensation

2.1.1 In the event that an employee becomes ill, is injured or dies while travelling on government business, the employee or, where applicable, the employee's dependants may be provided with protection, subject to the terms and conditions of the following:

  1. the collective agreement or other authority governing terms and conditions of employment, i.e., injury-on-duty leave and severance pay;
  2. the Government Employees Compensation Act;
  3. the Flying Accident Compensation Regulations;
  4. the Public Service Superannuation Act;
  5. the Canada Pension Plan or Quebec Pension Plan;
  6. the Public Service Management Insurance Plan;
  7. the Disability Insurance Plan;
  8. the Public Service Health Care Plan (for medical and hospital expenses not paid under the Government Employees Compensation Act);
  9. the Policy on Legal Assistance and Indemnification in the event of a civil action against an employee taken by a third party; and/or
  10. insurance as a result of contracting with government-approved suppliers, services and products.

2.1.2 Details concerning public service benefit programs are found in Appendix A.

2.1.3 Employees are advised to confirm with their insurance agent that they are adequately insured if they use non-commercial flights.

2.1.4 Additional insurance purchased by the traveller shall not be reimbursed except for the cost of insurance to cover repairs to, or replacement of, damaged or lost luggage while travelling, unless such insurance is provided.

2.2 Vehicle Insurance

2.2.1 Crown Vehicles

Crown-owned or leased vehicles driven in Canada are self-insured by the federal government.  Crown liability coverage is extended to those employees authorized to drive a Crown-owned or –leased vehicle while on government business travel for use related to the authorized travel.

When driving a Crown-owned or leased vehicle in the United States of America, commercial insurance against third-party liability risk and personal injury is required and proof of such insurance must be carried in the vehicle.  This insurance is obtained and paid for by the Employer.

2.2.2 Rental Vehicles

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage for the entire period that a vehicle is rented is required.  This coverage is provided through the use of the departmental travel expense card (DTEC) or individual designated travel card (IDTC).  When these cards are used to reserve and fully pay for the car rental, the traveller must decline the coverage for CDW on the rental agreement.  Where the DTEC or the IDTC is not used and free coverage is not provided by a personal credit card, the cost of the premiums for CDW coverage shall be reimbursed by the employer.

Public Liability and Property Damage coverage is included in the daily rental rates provided by the government approved car rental suppliers.  When travelling outside Canada, travellers should ensure additional coverage is obtained where required.  In such circumstances, premiums for additional coverage will be reimbursed.

Travellers shall not be reimbursed for personal accident insurance coverage premiums.

2.2.3 Private Motor Vehicles

The employer assumes no financial responsibility for privately owned vehicles and is not responsible for reimbursing deductible amounts related to insurance coverage.

Privately owned vehicles used on government business shall, as a minimum, have basic insurance coverage, including the minimum Public Liability and Property Damage coverage required by the province/territory of registration of the vehicle.  Any additional premium costs necessary to increase private vehicle insurance coverage to the basic level are not reimbursable, including the lowering of deductibles.

When Supplementary Business Insurance is required for the applicable period on government business travel, premium costs shall be reimbursed.

Travellers who intend to carry passengers are advised to confirm with their insurance agent that they are adequately insured.